Saturday, March 20, 2010

Georgetown is screening!

Thank you, Joan for posting this on TIMS. 

CCSVI Screenings
We are offering screening diagnostic ultrasounds to evaluate for Chronic Cerebro-Spinal Venous Insufficiency at Georgetown University Hospital.

We are not currently involved in a clinical trial and apologize in advance for any confusion.

This is a screening ultrasound only which may or may not lead to therapeutic treatment in the future.

This screening may or may not be covered by insurance.

We must receive a faxed order for an Extracranial Cerebrovascular Venous Ultrasound signed by your neurologist.

The signed order from your neurologist must include Diagnosis and ICD9 Code.

Fax the order to 202-444-7114 or send to Georgetown University Hospital, Division of Vascular Surgery, 4PHC, 3800 Reservoir Rd., NW, Washington, DC 20007.

The patient’s referring neurologist will receive a copy of the ultrasound.

The patient must contact his/her neurologist to review or obtain a copy of the report.

See attached order that can be printed for the referring provider to complete.

If you need further assistance please call 202-342-2400.

It's me again.  My screening was covered.  I am sorry that I do not remember what dx and ICD9 codes were used.  I had to sign a paper in advance saying that I would be responsible if insurance did not cover it.  The cost would have been $375. 

Be aware that this really is just a screening.  The tech checks the IJVs from the jaw line to the top of the clavicle in the upright and supine positions.

My doc believes that ultrasounds and  MRVs are not the best diagnostic tools.  Venogram really is the gold standard.  I think that it is probably necessary to have some info from the ultrasound to justify (at least for insurance) the need for the venogram.

We also need to figure out how to use ultrasound to monitor, as well as screen for CCSVI.  According to Zamboni, my IJVs have a 47% chance of restenosing within 8 to 9 months.  I'm an optimist, so to me that means that I have a 53% chance of NOT restenosing!

But I certainly would rather be able to have them checked  regularly, or if problems develop, with ultrasound.  The venogram was no big deal, but I know it cost a lot more than $375 and is certainly much more involved than a quick swipe of the wand!

I've said it before; we're making history here.

No comments: