Friday, August 20, 2010

Talk about misdirected anger!

One of my greatest wishes for my second procedure was to be able to lose the cane.  I hated that damned cane!

What I realize now with all of the wisdom that three whole weeks bring is that the cane is not the problem.  I was so unstable and weak before the procedure that I could not even function in my own home without that cane.  Now I only take it with me out of the house.  Even then I don't lean on it as if my life depended on it.  It's just a tool to help me safely manage uneven sidewalks, curbs, or unfamiliar terrain for now. 

It wasn't about the cane.  It was all about ME.  Yes, a collective, "Duh!" is totally appropriate right now.  That poor innocent cane was the subject of all my frustration, sadness, and fear.  Sorry little guy!  I hate limitations, not you.  You and your outfit-coordinating friends in my collection have done nothing but stand quietly by doing exactly what you were meant to do.  You let me bang you with every step, drop you too often, and curse your very existence.

I'm sure if you had more than one point of contact with the ground, you would have tottered off and left me a long time ago!  Thanks for sticking with me.  Even though you had no choice, I am offering a belated, "Thank you."

I try to express my gratitude to everyone in my life who offers me support, emotionally or physically, or both.  If there is anyone out there who is feeling unappreciated by me, I offer my most humble, "Thank you!"

I couldn't get through life without the people, and yes, tools, that allow me to do what I do.

Note:  Please notice that on the right hand side of this page, under the "About me" box is a new box that says, "Subscribe via email."  This nifty little feature will send you an email link to my blog whenever I write a new post.  I added it upon request of friends who want to know how I'm doing, but forget to check the blog regularly.  Thanks to Amy for letting me know that such a tool exists.

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Beautiful post, Nicole. We all have canes of one kind or another.