I saw my favorite PT, Ginger this morning for the first time since December. I didn't have time to make appointments with her after the first procedure in March before I started feeling badly again.
I was smarter and faster this time! I'm still hoping that my veins stay open forever, but I'll take all the time I can get. Also, working regularly with a PT will really help me objectively monitor my strength and balance. Less guessing for me is a good thing. She will be documenting my changes so I don't have to! It is always nice to have a partner in crime. And this one is being paid to do all of that monitoring stuff. I just get to enjoy her company, and appreciate her wisdom and talent.
It was such a welcome surprise that Ginger knew enough about CCSVI to be much more informed that the average PT. I had forgotten that I had added her to my email distribution list! I was happy to fill her in on the spotty details.
I feel so lucky to have found Ginger. I have been seeing her off and on for many years. When you find a PT who truly understands the needs and limitations of a person with MS, you hold on tight!
We spent time catching up, then the actual eval began. She could see immediately how much stronger I am than in December! And this is before any actual rehab has begun! I was so excited to see her reactions. She told me that I had made her day. I assured her that the feeling was mutual!
I explained to her how my muscles do not fatigue like they used to. We decided that for the first time in our long history together that she could push me to do more. She understands that with MS, if we fatigue my muscles they stop working, no matter how determined I am to make them work harder. She always forced me to pace myself. She was right. I was frustrated with my body, but never with her.
But now we are rehabilitating a woman with "vascular compression" on her prescription, not MS! The game has changed, and so the rules must change as well. I never thought I'd see the day. I am so grateful for this opportunity.
So I start therapy in earnest on Wednesday. I will go twice a week for four weeks. Then my insurance requires a reevaluation. WHEN I have demonstrated what I anticipate will be awesome progress, I will get to continue seeing her. "Awesome progress" has never been part of my PT vocabulary. Often she would document the most minor improvements, but usually never enough to buy me as many sessions as I would have liked. I am entering a brave new world for myself. I am excited to see what this body can really do!
We are going to focus on leg and hip muscle strengthening, and core balance stuff. I have never been this excited to exercise in my whole adult life. I loved walking for exercise up through my first 10 years of MS. Then waking for fun became increasingly more difficult, then impossible. Walking for utility became challenging at some point, so exercise walking really faded to just a distant memory. :o(
It is difficult to imagine that my walking might improve to the point that I can do it for fun. Heck, I just want to be able to walk well enough to do the grocery store easily, and take my girls back-to-school shopping! My wishes are modest, but dreams cost nothing, so why not do it?
I see my neurologist tomorrow. I am excited for him to see the same improvements that Ginger saw today. The difference is that he saw me slipping downhill fast in June. He will have an even greater appreciation of my new strength!
Tune in tomorrow for the report!
Monday, August 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment