I just spent a blissful HOUR working out with my favorite PT, Ginger. I have never before used the words "blissful" and "workout" in the same sentence, but these days I look forward to every minute I can spend rebuilding these weak muscles. It's a whole different ball game now that I have stamina, and the promise that these improvements might actually last!
I am so used to having to spend as much time resting at PT as I do exercising. Not these days! I went strong for almost a full hour without a break. I am now the Energizer Bunny! We spend a lot of time these days shaking our heads in disbelief at what I can do.
I believe that if these veins can stay open, I can actually accomplish some goals. What a novel concept. Ginger might be done with me long before my insurance cuts me off from PT! My goals are modest, but critical. From PT I hope to gain enough strength and skill to be able to walk strongly and safely, to balance well enough to pass a field sobriety test, and maybe even dance a little. And I am seeing real progress each week!
I would like to continue swallowing safely. I also want to keep enjoying warm fingers and toes. That's it. I wouldn't mind lots of other great things, but I will be infinitely satisfied with the above mentioned accomplishments. I don't want to be greedy!
So how long will these veins stay open?
I try not to dwell too much on the $64,000 question. I mainly use it as a reminder to squeeze every last drop of beauty out of each day. If things begin slipping again, I know what I need to do. Going back for a third treatment will not be fun, but it really is a life-sustaining necessity. It's not like "needing" a third face lift. This is about keeping veins open to protect my brain from the damage that refluxing blood does to the most vital organ in my body. If it lets me walk and dance, too, well then all the better!
I realize how lucky I am that these do-overs are a real option for me. I have access to a great doctor within driving distance, and insurance that has, so far, paid for both procedures in full. I wish that all people with CCSVI will soon have the same access to quality, local doctors, and insurance coverage that will make treatment financially possible. We all deserve nothing less.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment