Friday, May 7, 2010

Will my walking ever really improve?

I had a rough day below the neck yesterday.  My legs were weak, my balance sucked, and I felt frustrated.  I threw myself a modest pity, and contemplated the idea that maybe my legs might not improve, or possibly get worse.

Then I spoke to my new friend, and fellow GU liberator, R.  She might be even more stubbornly optimistic than I am!  She insisted that our wonderful doctor assured her that if you can still feel, your nerves aren't dead yet.  She takes the constant tingling in her limbs as proof that the nerves are still working; they are just damaged right now.  When given the opportunity to heal, they will.  I have never met anyone who can out-positive me before.  I am so glad that I think that I have met my match!  She told me what I needed to hear, exactly when I needed to hear it.

Then I remembered how damn sharp I was on Sunday and Monday when it came to driving to new places.  I got myself to Clyde's deep in D.C. with the help of Mapquest.  But I made it home all by myself without any help!  For this usually directionally-challenged woman that is almost miraculous.  In the past I would have gotten out of the parking garage and immediately called the wonderful husband for step-by-step directions.

On Monday I headed out to Boyds, MD to take a new friend to lunch.  It is about 30 minutes from home.  She has recently become legally blind thanks to MS.  How dare I complain?

Again, Mapquest got me there without a hitch.  But I was amazed at how easily I remembered the several turns to get out of her 'hood, then back again after lunch, and back to the highway to head home.

In the past I would have had to try to reverse the printed directions, and stressed about my total lack of navigational skills.  On both of the above occasions, I was able to confidently hold clear directions in my head, and more importantly, manipulate them on the fly!

So I am still safe to drive, I can think clearly, I don't choke, and have warm extremities.  Oh yeah, and it's ONLY been two months since my procedure.  What in the hell do I have to complain about?!?

That final overview was, oh so gently, laid out for me by my wonderful husband at breakfast this morning.  He is the one who suggested that I blog about it. 

There is nothing like counting your blessings to help put life in perspective.  I am humbled and grateful for the skills that I have retained, and those that I have regained.  But none of that compares to the gratitude that I have for the people who lift me up when I am down, and support me every day of my life. 

To my incredible husband, wonderful children, and indispensable friends:  thank you.  And to my awesome Mom who has been my cheerleader my whole life, and lifesaver on too many occasions to count:  Happy Mother's Day!  I love you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And to my discretionally challenged, attention whore brother, who anxiously awaits each new blog entry so that he may share in his sister's achievements and add a snarky comment, I love you too.

wannabeatms said...

Superb blog!!
Yes, we have to remember to give our bodies a time. It did not go downhill overnight, it cannot be expected to recover overnight either. Have you had checkups to make sure there is no restenosis?
Keep healing!

tellnhelen said...

Hello. I was at Clyde's at Gallery Place last Sunday for my sister's Mother's Day celebration. Maybe we were there at the same time... early evening. My progress has not been as fast as I hoped but I do remain optimistic. I work this week but intend to get back to the pool and the gym as soon as possible. I believe that exercise is what I need to get stronger and regain balance. I have six weeks to go for a major outing. I hoping I can move around just on my cane. You sound good. I am cheering you on. Be well.