Monday, May 24, 2010

Life's a beach!

Really, it is!  We just returned from a couple of days in Ocean City, MD with good friends.  No, I did not plan our trip to coincide with Cruisers Weekend, I assure you.  Their revving engines were close to deafening, but the gorgeous cars were quite a sight!  People lined up chairs all along the main drag as the cars spent all day Saturday "cuttin' town".  I don't know if it was more fun seeing the cars, or all of the people sitting for hours watching them!

Anyway, I was not optimistic that I would be able to make it onto the actual beach.  I'm having enough trouble on flat surfaces, who do I think I am trying to walk on soft sand?

On Saturday morning we started the day with our traditional Fractured Prune donut breakfast.  You don't know donuts if you've never had these.  A little bit of heaven!  Then the wonderful husband and equally wonderful friend A. suggested that they would each take one of my arms to escort me to the beach.  They even offered me piggy back rides.  I graciously declined that strategy.  Handsome middle aged men should not be giving piggy back rides to anyone over 10 years, or 50 pounds.  I just miss both cut offs.  Darn!

I was skeptical but willing to try the walking suggestion.  We made it!!!!!  They were such strong, gallant escorts!  It felt so great to be able to join in the fun.  Well, at least sit in my chair and watch the kids having fun.  The guys even went to pick up lunch and bring it back so we could picnic on the beach.  Love those guys!

After a few hours they walked me back.  I can't believe that I really did it!  I was ecstatic!

Later that day we hopped in the cars to head for the boardwalk.  My legs were tired but that is why we have the trusty Segway.  We put the kids on rides, ate lots of boardwalk junk, played too many arcade games, and generally had a great time.  People watching is the best activity on the boardwalk!

What is fascinating is that I did not fade mentally.  Pre-lib I would get short tempered and totally exasperated after doing all that we did.  This weekend I had the mental ability to enjoy it all.  When we stopped at Candy Kitchen to let the kids get candy, I didn't get all pissy when it took a full 30 minutes for them to pick the exactly right stuff.  We were in the car on the way back to the apartment at that point, so I just sat in the car and scrolled through the adorable pics of our great day. 

Take all the time you need, kids!  I'm good!

I was physically pooped on Sunday, so we skipped the outlets on the way home.  We did stop for some awesome Maryland crabs on Kent Island, though.

All in all we did everything one should be expected to do in a 48 hour beach trip. 

I might still have azygos problems, but I love my free-flowing IJVs, and everything that they allowed me to enjoy this weekend.

No comments: