Sunday, October 24, 2010

New job title: Test Dummy

I have never been on the cutting edge of anything before in my life.  I am no fashion trend setter, brilliant inventor, or brave drug trial participant.  However, I am usually an excellent follower.

So it is fascinating to me that I have sought out, and taken advantage of, the opportunities I've had to spend the past 11 months being a pioneer of an amazing, life altering treatment for a condition that I didn't know existed, or that I even had!  

I educated myself about CCSVI to the best of my ability.  Then spent every available minute looking for a doctor who was willing to snake a balloon up my groin, into my tightly closed jugulars and open those suckers right up!  I never hesitated for a minute.  Who am I?!?  One very lucky lady, that's who.

What a year it's been.  To recap:

*  November 30th:  Several articles about this "Liberation Treatment" landed in my Yahoo alert email
*  February 1st:   I had a Doppler ultrasounds at Georgetown University
*  March 3rd:  I became the first venoplasty patient at Georgetown University
*  Mid March:  Began restenosing rather quickly
*  July 30th:  I was treated by Dr. Ziv Haskal for my restenosed veins before he took a break in order to get a CCSVI study approved by his hospital's IRB
*  October 1st:  Began restenosing again, but very slowly it appears this time
*  October 22:  On Friday I was the 8th or 9th patient to have Doppler ultrasound at University of MD (Oscar the tech couldn't be exactly sure)
*  Next week I meet with Dr. Haskal to discuss when I can have my 3rd venoplasty.

I will be very interested to see what my ultrasound results show.  I know that I am in the very early stages of restenosing.  When I was originally tested at Georgetown, my reflux numbers were not terribly remarkable.  When the doctor did the venoplasty he was shocked at how stenosed my veins actually were.   I don't expect that the Maryland tech found anything to get too excited about.

Luckily, I know that Haskal has a healthy skepticism for ultrasounds and MRVs.  My well documented improvements, and subsequent decline are far better indicators of restenosis in my book.  Of course, I'm no doctor.  But I bet I know a whole lot more about this than many board certified physicians at this point!

I'll let you know how the appointment goes this week.  Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes with your appt. next week. Hopefully Dr. Haskal will get his IRB approval soon. Thanks for the update, please keep us posted.
God bless!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy reading your blogs and looking forward to "following" your next blog...
Karen