Once again I had a fascinating meeting with Dr. Haskal. He is clearly a dedicated, methodical, patient man who is determined to make things happen. I have every confidence that he is ramping up to do great things for CCSVI treatment and research.
Dr. Haskal has great respect for IRBs, their essential role in protecting patients, and legitimizing the groundbreaking work being done in studies. I am sure that jumping through countless hoops in the process of getting his study approved must be frustrating. You wouldn't know it by asking him. He is the epitome of cool. He has been, and will continue to be successful because he is a team builder, and a consummate diplomat.
He is optimistic that his study will be approved in the next few weeks. I know that I am not the only one who is waiting with baited breath to hear the news that he is back in business!
As I expected my ultrasound was not very informative. The report stated that my right IJV has "diffuse narrowing". That is all that he told me, so I assume there was nothing more interesting to share. He was totally unconcerned with the report. He noted that until he sees excellent correlation between ultrasound and venogram, he will not make treatment decisions based on just one factor. I have to get a copy of that report to read for myself. No worries, though. Dr. H called me a "poster child" for this procedure, and he plans to widen these veins again when he is able. I'm ready whenever he is!
I learned some fascinating things during my appointment. Dr. Haskal now has the head neurologist on the study "pulling with him, not pushing against him." Excellent. See my note above about him being a diplomatic team-builder. He is also working on having researchers begin studying CCSVI in animal models. Evidently sheep have venous valves similar to humans! Stay tuned for more news on this one.
This doctor is working tirelessly to treat CCSVI, but also to find answers to so many questions related to this condition. If I was a betting woman I would put almost all of my chips on Haskal. Then I would sprinkle the rest on Dake, Siskin, Sinan, Simka, Hubbard, and Haacke. If I had more chips, I'd certainly have more doctors worthy of my wager. When I hit the jackpot, I'd go back and bet on them all again. We have an ever expanding team of amazing doctors working feverishly on our behalves.
I feel that in 20+ years, my future as it relates to my health has never looked brighter. I count my blessings every day. It makes everything feel better, even the yucky stuff that has nothing to do with CCSVI.
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dear Nicole:
Can you describe the symptoms in "initial re-stenosis" such as fatigue again? I think it's so important for us. And how often you do the ultra sound scan check after procedure, monthly or seasonly?
Thank you!
Jimmy
Post a Comment