I had a fantastic session with my physical therapist yesterday. It was my second to last meeting with her because she is leaving me for sunny California. :o( I will miss her so much.
When we first began working together several years ago, I was thrilled that Ginger understood MS so well. She knew that I needed frequent breaks, even when I didn't want to take them. Back in those olden days, my nerves would only fire so many times to power my muscles before they simply would not, could not, do more. I had no choice but to let them rest.
Well, hello 2010 and a Liberated Nicole!
I warmed up on a device called a Nustep for eight minutes. It's like a seated stepping machine. Then Ginger stretched my calves, quads, and hamstrings. We worked my hip muscles, quads, and whatever you call that muscle that helps lift your toes when you walk. (P.S. I don't trip on my toes anymore!)
The craziest thing has happened. My always-weaker right leg is now stronger than my left! Every muscle group! Ginger can't explain it. She has never seen anything like it. I love seeing the amazement on her face when I can do the unexpected.
Next I moved to strengthening my quads by practicing on a four inch step. I plant one foot on the block with the other one hanging over the edge. Then gently lower myself until that other foot touches the floor. I did two sets of ten repetitions on each side with ease! Once I get to three sets of ten I will graduate to a six inch step, then finally to a full eight inches (that is a standard step height). That will mean that I have some seriously strong quadriceps!
I also worked on my core by sitting on a ball and rolling in different directions. Very challenging for me, especially at the end of a long session.
Today my walking is not as strong as it was yesterday. All of that exercise takes a lot out of me. But based on my new experiences, I fully expect that I will be raring to go tomorrow morning! I assume that as I continue to build strength, my down time will decrease.
It has been six weeks since my procedure. I am finally allowing myself to believe that my Liberation treatment is really sticking this time. Maybe the second time is the charm for me. My fingers remain crossed!
1) My gains have lasted three times longer than they did after my first procedure.
2) I continue to improve!
3) I have been able to maintain my level of functioning despite being under significant stress.
I realize that six weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things. However, in my world it has been like 42 days of ice cream sundaes with cherries on top! Not every day is fun, of course, but being able to function at a level that allows me to live my life, on my terms, is delicious none the less.
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Nicole... Great to hear that a second procedure persists longer than the first!
May I make a suggestion as to why your usually weaker right leg is now stronger than your left? Okay. You may have been working your right leg harder than your left all these years due to not-so-good-firing nerves. Now that you are getting more impulses to your muscles, all that right leg work is showing.
Sorry to hear about your Mom, and about Ginger leaving. But, enjoy your ice cream!
Nicole....it is always great to read your posts!
So happy to hear of your success with your PT...now that is on my list to go look for.
I have been thinking about you and your mom.
Do you have grapenut ice cream down there? Yum yum
Karen Oronte
Post a Comment