Thursday, September 2, 2010

1 month follow up

On Tuesday I saw my Interventional Radiologist for my one month follow up of my venoplasty.  Originally he had asked me to keep his name out of my blog.  He is now comfortable with me sharing his name.  So it is my pleasure to tell you that my wonderful IR is Dr. Ziv Haskal at the University of Maryland Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.

He is in the process of having his study approved by his hospital's IRB.  Unlike some other doctors, he is reasonably confident that he will be approved this fall.  His study will be full treatment with pre and post exams by a neurologist at the U of M hospital.  Patients will also fill out a pre-treatment MSQOL (quality of life) survey, and repeat it monthly afterwards for a set amount of time.

Dr. Haskal was thrilled with my progress!  He videotaped me telling him all about the improvements I've been experiencing since my treatment.  I also told him that my PT is amazed at the changes in me.  He asked if I could get her on tape talking about her observations.  What an interesting library he is amassing!

He has treated many patients from out of town, and out of the country.  I think that I am somewhat of a novelty for him because I am local (45 minutes with no traffic), have had dramatic improvements, and he can see me for follow ups very easily.  I know that he has a few local patients, but I believe that we are in the minority.

The good news is that we agreed that it would be easy enough to retreat me should I begin restenosing.  He said that he would have no problem going back every three months if that what it took!  I left there so satisified that I had a good plan, and a fantastic doctor to help me execute it.  Luckily at the moment I am a strong, and steadily improving patient!  It just gives me piece of mind to have a plan in place for the "what if's" in my life.  There are not many times when that is possible, so when it is, it gives me a small measure of feeling some control.

We are still on a "no stent" protocol.  My problems do not require them, luckily.  In a couple of years, when we know A LOT more, it might make sense to use them.  But for now we both agree that we can keep doing what is working so well.

Sadly, I have had a unique opportunity to put my re-found skills to great use in the past 48 hours.  A beloved family member went into the hospital on Tuesday.  I have been spending many hours walking long halls, making arrangements, and staying up late.

I am so sad that this is necessary.  But it certainly helps me get my priorities straight!  It makes me realize that I really don't need to dance or shop.  I am just so grateful for the ability to care for my loved one when I am truly needed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole
So wonderful to read your post, thanks for sharing!
Your story gives hope for all.
Best
Karen

Judy of the Maryland CCSVI Group said...

(please click on my name to go to & join the Maryland Group)

Hello Nicole,
Glad you got to see Dr. Haskal and are doing very well.

There are a growing number of us who are Maryland/DC residents who are patients of Dr. H. I am posting a link for other "local" people who may view this blog to help them connect and be "liberated". Its important to me to help people get the help they need. Dr. Haskal has expressed his interest to me to see more "local" in state people.

For 'local' people please join us at the Maryland USA MS CCSVI Group.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Maryland-USA-MS-CCSVI-Group/114648478563437?ref=sgm

I live north of Baltimore and am awaiting my date. Please help spread the word about the Maryland USA MS CCSVI Group on Facebook.

Thanks,
Judy Pentz
Admin & Founder,Maryland USA MS CCSVI Group

Anonymous said...

Hi nicole, Thank you for this wonderful, helpful post. I'm so happy I happened to stumble on it. I have an appt. the 13th this month with Dr. Haskal (consult).
I'm from Phila. suburb, "almost local". This post has really helped to calm my fears. Thank you again, God bless!