I was at a fabulous 40th b-day party for my dearest friend of 27 years last night. I had had a very long stressful day, and needless to say my walking was subprime at best.
This was a fete filled with smart, funny, very well dressed women who really know their way around a fancy shoe department! Then there was me, looking none too shabby, but wearing my best sensible, very flat, mary jane shoes with a sturdy strap across the instep. At least they are a little sparkly!
I don't function without my cane these days. Events like this always make me terribly self-conscious about my "unique" accessory. Not that I believe anyone else cares in the least about how I get from here to there. But in my moments of great self-importance, I can't help feeling all eyes are on me. I know, I shouldn't flatter myself!
As part of the fun there was a gift swap. You know, bring something from home that you never use nor need, and trade it for someone else's unwanted/unneeded stuff. Well, don't ya know that I pulled #1 out of 30 guests. I thought I got lucky! But, no. That just means that I got first pick of the fabulous array of cast offs.
Among the various and sundry necklaces, cookbooks, beer pitchers, and even a lovely, unworn bra with tags still on (size 34D), I spied my choice. It was an awesome tote that folds into it's own little zipper pouch. I wanted it badly! But I was #1. That meant that anyone following me could steal it away!
I was having none of that! So for the first time in history I used the (think very tongue in cheek) "pity card". I announced that anyone who wanted to take this fabulous tote from a woman who needs to walk with a cane, could go right ahead and take advantage of me. But that they should all know that I might beat them with my cane if they tried!
I got a laugh, but more importantly: 1. I didn't let that damn cane make me feel bad about myself. AND 2. nobody dared challenge me for that bag!
It is all mine!!!!!!!!
That is, until the next party where I am invited to bring an item to swap. Then I will pull out this bag that I had to have, and let someone else figure out the perfect use for it. ;o)
Happy birthday, Sherri!
Friday, June 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nicole
I can empathise immediately. I too have just started to walk with a cane...I got a nifty black cane with a white faux-ivory carved rabbit head with glass eye. If I can't wear the novelty shoes then I sport the cane.
Post a Comment