Sunday, April 25, 2010

Feeling as sharp as a spoon.

I am an almost perpetually positive person, but my world is not all butterflies and chocolate kisses.  Some days just suck.  It happens to the best of us, right?

I have had a few days in a row where the cognitive fatigue has been creeping back in around 4:00 in the afternoon.  Not even a shot of caffeine can clear the fog. 

So of course my first thought is, "Am I restenosing?"

My cognitive sharpness, good swallowing, and warm fingers and toes have been the consistent improvements in this whole program so far.  It's a great start!

The digits are still pink, and I'm still not choking, so that's good.  But what about the rest?  I know that I promised myself that I'm not talking about the legs for now, but just between us, they are still the same weak noodles that get me from place to place.

I am having to play a whole new guessing game with myself since my procedure.  It is no longer, "Am I having an exacerbation?", but rather, "Are the walls of my veins closing up again?"

I actually feel better having put my feelings into words.  If only one of my three gains is suffering, maybe that's nothing to stress about.  Although, it is certainly something to keep an eye on (even if the other one is half asleep!).  If it doesn't improve this week, I will call the good doc.

The husband keeps reminding me that I'm on a roller coaster that goes up and down, not a gondola that goes straight up the mountain.

I'm gonna try to remember to appreciate that I actually got a ticket for a ride, and spend less time wishing I had found a seat on the gondola rather than the coaster.  It's still a coveted seat.

Now some news from Dr. T: 
-I am going to be on Plavix for 6 months.
-He is going to have me do an ultrasound at 3 months, then see him for our first official follow up visit the following week. 
-There may be more than 20 golden tickets for this initial study of this procedure at GU!  He told me that the IRB will have a statistician determine a statistically significant number of patients needed to make this study valid.  (try saying that 3 times fast!)  He has no idea how many that will be right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon-- get your rest. Thanks for continuing to post... hang in there! (prairiegirl)